Written by Henry F. Heald
As the word “memorial” in the name of the church signifies, Carleton Memorial United Church was founded by World War II veterans in memory of their fallen comrades. The congregation was inaugurated in 1950, but the genesis of the church begins shortly after the end of the war in 1945.
The Veterans Land Act made home sites available for veterans in the Hog’s Back/Carleton Heights area. Each veteran was entitled to a three-per-cent mortgage to purchase a half-acre lot and build a house. So a new community of young families sprang up in the area. In the beginning, interdenominational church services were held in the local school under the leadership of Rev A.E. Martineau of City View United Church. However, as the development grew, families with United Church of Canada roots began to plan for a church of their own.
(Stan Wilson, 1944, right)